Formal assessment involves the use of assessment measures and tests, to get a sense of your child’s strengths and weaknesses. Early identification of learning disorders and developmental disabilities means that your child can receive specialist attention and multi-disciplinary support to scaffold development and meet your child’s developmental and educational needs
Signs that your child may benefit from a formal assessment:
- Meeting milestones later than peers, or not at all
- Carrying out actions in a repetitive way
- Strong resistance to change
- Little or no interest in playing with other children
- Frequent aggressive behaviour: e.g.; biting, pinching, kicking or self-injurious behaviours
While some carers are reluctant to seek help for their child’s difficulties, a diagnosis can bring a sense of understanding and relief, and guide treatment and support from additional specialists. If you would like to discuss assessment, or to ask further questions, please contact me.